Wednesday 10 April 2013

(500) Days of Summer


This was a film recommended to me by my flatmate who seemed to quite enjoy it. I can see why it’s a popular film. It follows this guy Tom who has ‘broken up’ with a girl, Summer, and is pretty cut up about it. It is presented in a non-linear manner, and this is good because it changes your opinions of the characters as the film goes along.

To begin with, the audience is duped into thinking that this is going to be a love story. We see Summer sitting on a bench with Tom with a ring on her finger. I was expected a soppy little love story along the exact same template as every other romantic comedy I have ever seen. Ever. I was quite surprising though. We are presented with almost two different stories. Tom immediately falls in love with Summer and believes she is the one, but she is against ‘labelling’ their relationship. They eventually break up and Tom struggles with this. In contrast, Summer appears to be coping just fine. At the end of the film we see that she is engaged to someone else and, despite not agreeing with marriage, immediately knew that he was the one.

It would be logical to start with the main character, but I think Zooey Deschanel is more interesting as Summer. The character is complex and interesting, but Zooey Deschanel is quite average throughout. Throughout the film I found myself changing my opinions a lot. At the start, possibly reflecting the rose-tinted goggles that Tom is obviously wearing, I found myself liking Summer, and the film seemed to be presenting a very happy relationship. However, as Tom starts to get over her we see a bit more of the reality of the relationship. At this point, Summer becomes incredibly dislikable. I find some of the things that she does to be incredibly low and cheap. She doesn't seem to have any appreciation of what she has and just wants to be ‘friends’. Zooey Deschanel plays Summer very well. I seem to have missed everything that she’s been in except for New Girl. Though they may seem similar, the characters she plays in these two productions are very different. I think she will become quite a rom-com star in the future. For now though I thought she was good at portraying the obvious ‘quirks’ to Summer’s character, but the role didn't seem to show the qualities of her acting talent.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt just reinforces his status as one of my favourite actors around at the moment. From the scene after he spends the night with Summer to his accuracy at portraying the torment a man goes through after a break up, he is spectacular in 500 Days of Summer. The thing about his character is that nearly every guy (whether they’d care to admit it or not) can relate to something that happens to him. At the start of the film I got the feeling that he was taking the break up a little bit too badly, but when we see more about what happened it becomes apparent that he was justifiably upset about the manner and the nature of their relationship. I really liked the scene where ‘expectations’ and ‘reality’ were aligned and the audience could see what he thought would happen. I also really liked that after his experience with Summer he decides to ‘take the bull by the horns’ and pursue his dream. In doing so he discovers something which has the potential to be better than Summer.

500 Days of Summer is a refreshing break from the template of the typical romantic comedy. It took me some time to realise that they weren't going to get back together and everything would be okay again. However, I like the fact that they didn't  and it is refreshing to see this in a modern film. For this reason I think that 500 Days of Summer can appeal to both males and females. It isn't an incredible movie though, and to be honest I don’t think I’d recommend it too highly. It is funny in parts, but overall I think it seemed to pass me by a little bit. It’s definitely one to watch in a relaxed setting, maybe with a partner. I enjoyed it, but I think it’s time to move on from Summer and await the arrival of Autumn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment