Wednesday 27 March 2013

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind


I first came across this film when revising for my second year exams. I had a unit on memory and the textbook I was reading used Eternal Sunshine as an example of memory research in popular culture. I reasoned to myself that if the textbook told me to do so, then watching the film must count as revision. I found myself watching a film that was not only thought-provoking, but mysterious and quite touching at the same time. Sadly (or not as the case may be) it is one of those films that dramatically divides the attention of its viewers, and so my opinions will doubtless be dramatically different from those of others.

Eternal Sunshine tells of a couple who have a procedure which erases each other from their memories after they break up. However, when they start to lose each other they realise that they don’t want to forget. The film is quite difficult to follow because it doesn't go in a linear fashion, however, it’s not an absolute mindbender either. There is a story within the story and this plotline has the ‘twist’ of the film in. This moment is brilliant because up until that point the film has entirely focused on Joel and Clementine, and the audience assumes that the ‘memory staff’ are simply background characters. However, the twist reveals that there is much more going on than you initially think.

Jim Carrey is so delightful to watch in this. Before I watched Eternal Sunshine my only previous experience of Jim Carrey had been of the hilariously silly star of Ace Ventura, Batman Forever and Bruce Almighty. I was very surprised to see him take on a much more serious role, even if there are some scene where his comedic acting shines through. His character is very deep I think, and after he breaks up with his girlfriend and realises that she has erased him from her mind (perfectly plausible) he decides that the memory if her is too painful, and wants it removed himself. However, he soon comes to realise that he doesn't want to lose these memories. This is an interesting idea, as I’m sure we've all been there. After a break up it might be easier to simply erase the person from your memory, but what comes through in the film, and what shone through for me, is that the happy memories you had, while painful, are what has formed you as a person. You cannot let that go because without the memories you wouldn't be the person you are. For me, this is the most important message of the film.

Kate Winslet, as ever, shines alongside Jim Carrey. While the way her character is portrayed has a lot to do with the way the film is put together, Winslet does a great job over conveying how changeable and impulsive Clementine is. At times she comes across as very uncaring toward Joel, but when faced with the prospect of losing the memories, even in Joel’s head, she becomes a completely different person. When Patrick (Elijah Wood) begins to take Joel’s place in her memories the film takes a bit of a dark turn. I found myself thoroughly detesting Patrick, and while I think this is the general idea, the idea that someone can take your place in someone’s life by erasing you and repeating your actions is quite a nasty prospect.

The film turns out to be quite a nice love story though. Throughout the film there is the sense that Joel and Clementine’s relationship was tumultuous to say the least, and their break up was probably for the best. However by the end of the film I found myself finding the unfolding story to be quite touching. Despite the fact that both the characters had their memories of each other erased they find themselves attracted to each other again. Clementine told Joel to meet her somewhere in his memory, and their eventual meeting paints the picture of a couple who, despite having a difficult relationship, really love each other and seem to be meant to be somewhat.

The supporting cast of Elijah Wood, Kirsten Dunst, Tom Wilkinson and Mark Ruffalo are all glittering as well. Kirsten Dunst’s emotion in the final scenes as the twist is revealed is perfectly conveyed. The fact that Elijah Wood comes across as utterly detestable in this film is also a credit to him. In many of the roles he has played he is very likable, and to be able to play character that is widely disliked by the audience is a rare talent.

Overall, Eternal Sunshine is a wonderful film, and many, many paragraphs could be dedicated to me analysing it. All the sub-plots, sub-memories and different levels of looking at this film create a movie which I still find myself discovering every time I watch it. I can strongly advise that you watch it, but be prepared for a bit of a heavy film. The message can be whatever you make it, and personally I think the message is quite simple: whatever happened, it is not best to forget about your partner after a break up because your experience of them has made you who you are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment