Saturday 15 December 2012

Erin Brockovich

*May contain spoilers*

I never thought I'd find myself enjoying a Julia Roberts film. I'm not entirely sure why though, because she's been in some really good stuff! I haven't seen Notting Hill yet, but I hear it's one to watch, and I plan to see it soon. However, when I started watching Erin Brockovich I found myself getting really into it.

It tells the story of the lawsuit against Pacific Gas & Electric who were using a harmful substance, dumping it in the water, and not protecting the families who lived nearby from the dangers. It's one of those films that portrays a massive injustice, leading to a court case, in which David beats Goliath, getting a large sum of money, and the world is right again. It's one of those films that, if you get into it, you find yourself really caring about this case, and I found myself looking into it after the film, just to find out more about it.

Julia Roberts is fantastic as the single mum of three who forces her way into a job, and then finds herself fully attached to what she is doing. She won the Oscar for 'Best Actress' for this role, and it's not hard to see why. I get the feeling that she attacks the role with as much passion as her character attacks the case, and she does so well at conveying the stresses that the real Brockovich experienced to her audience.

The chemistry between Roberts and the other actors also makes the film partly what it is. Aaron Eckhart is very good as her neighbour/boyfriend, and I was really surprised to see him as a biker, and see him play the part so well too. To me, Eckhart is Harvey Dent (from The Dark Knight for those of you who haven't seen it), and I thought he too played his character really well. His eventual exasperation with Erin's dedication to this case results in him leaving her, and this seems perfectly justifiable to the audience. Albert Finney is also very impressive as the beleaguered lawyer in charge of the firm filing the lawsuit, and works really well with Julia Roberts to add a touch of humour to what would otherwise be a sombre, serious film. The little exchange at the end of the film, for me sums up the tone. Brockovich is so driven by the need to support her family, and Masry understands this, so pokes a bit of fun at her. You also get the feeling from Masry that he is slightly disillusioned with his profession, realising that there is only really one way in which the residents of this town will be successful, and that they will never succeed if they take the case to trial. Both supporting actors are fantastic in this film, but are also overshadowed by Roberts.

Scientists level quite a strong criticism at this film, arguing that the evidence used in the case is beefed up and made more conclusive in this film. However, regular readers will know my opinions on embellishment for the sake of the movie, and in this case it makes the film that little bit more inspiring, and shows the corporation to be a little bit more wrong, and so that's fine with me.

I really enjoyed Erin Brockovich for the same reason I like quite a lot of films. The acting is good, the plot is enjoyable, and there's a sense of inspiration at the end which is always a good note to end a film on.

No comments:

Post a Comment